Day 2 | Called Jesus Christ
December 19, 2015 - WEEK ONE
Michelangelo Buonarroti, Isaiah Detail.
Sistine Chapel, Vatican (public domain).
CONSIDER AS YOU READ
- Does the fulfillment of these prophecies inspire you as the Lord intended?
- Does prophecy limit free agency (must these things come to pass)?
- Why are the Book of Mormon prophecies more specific than the Old Testament?
The Old Testament contains the essential things the world needs to know to gain a testimony of Jesus Christ and of his gospel…
1. The Messiah would be born of a virgin (Isaiah 7:14; see also TG, “Jesus Christ, Birth of”; BD, “Christ, Names of”).
2. The Messiah would be born in Bethlehem of Judea (Micah 5:2; see also TG, “Jesus Christ, Messiah” and “Jesus Christ, Prophecies about”; BD, “Bethlehem” and “Messiah”).
3. The Messiah would be reared in the tribal lands assigned to Zebulun and Naphtali, which includes Nazareth and the Galilee (Isaiah 9:1–2…).
4. The Messiah would have power over the physical elements of the earth, including the physical body. Thus, he could heal the sick, cause the blind to see, and so forth (Isaiah 42:5–7…).
5. The Messiah would bear the sin of the world and the iniquities and transgressions of many (Isaiah 50:6; 53:4–6…).
6. The Messiah would be “lifted up on a tree” (crucified) and have his hands and feet “pierced” (Psalm 22:16; Zechariah 12:10; 13:6….).
7. The Messiah would be resurrected from the dead and provide resurrection for all mankind (Job 19:25; Isaiah 25:8; 26:19; 53:12; Ezekiel 37:12; Hosea 13:14…).
(Daniel B. Ludlow, Selected Writings of Daniel H. Ludlow: Gospel Scholars Series, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 2000, 205).
FOR YOUNGER DISCIPLES
QUESTIONS FOR YOUNGER DISCIPLES
- What led Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery to pray about baptism?
- Do you realize that you have been–or will be–baptized with the same authority which John the Baptist gave to Joseph and Oliver?