Day 94 | His Own New Tomb
January 1, 2015 - WEEK FOURTEEN
Sisto Badolocchio, The Entombment of Christ, [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons.
CONSIDER AS YOU READ
- Why were there so few seemingly interested in Jesus’ burial?
- Do you think Joseph of Arimathea had any idea that Christ would rise in three days?
- Why did the scribes and Pharisees remember that Christ said, “After three days I will rise again” (Matthew 27:63), yet His disciples did not?
Joseph of Arimathea was only a secret disciple because of what others would think of him. He would not risk his social position nor the respect of his associates…. The world needs men who are willing to step forward and declare themselves. The world needs men who will lift the load of responsibility to their shoulders and carry it high under the banner of Jesus Christ…
I wonder if there was not a tear in Joseph’s eye as he placed the body of Jesus in the tomb. Surely he thought of the events which had taken place earlier on that day, when as a member of the Council he had failed to come to the defense of the Master. Should we not search our own souls and inquire of ourselves if we are loyal? Are we, too, only secret disciples of Christ?
This same Jesus who died on the cross and whose body was placed in the tomb came forth on the third day thereafter. He was resurrected and lives today—the Savior of the world.
This is my witness. He stands before us with arms outstretched to our vision, and those same words spoken to the disciples in Jerusalem should ring in our ears:
“If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
“For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it” (Matt. 16:24–25).
May we be his disciples openly, fearlessly, and with devotion… (Howard W. Hunter, Conference Report, Oct. 1960, 107–109).
FOR YOUNGER DISCIPLES
QUESTIONS FOR YOUNGER DISCIPLES
- I wonder how we felt, as spirits, watching these last moments of Jesus’ life.
- Could he have called angels to save him? Why didn’t he?